A pilot ladder is required
on all arriving vessels.
It shall be rigged in accordance with IMO specifications and I.M.P.A. recommendations.
Visit the "Pilot Ladder" page for a diagram of a proper pilot ladder.
- ⓐ Vessel speed should be about 6 knots unless otherwise directed by the pilot.
- ⓑ Head the vessel so that the pilot may embark or disembark on the lee side, away from the seas.
- ⓒ Rig the pilot ladder with spreaders in accordance with SOLAS Regulations.
- ⓓ The ladder must be in good order.
- ⓔ Position the ladder approximately 1.5 to 2.0 meters.
Allow no slack in the ladder on deck.
- ⓕ No boat rope or man ropes are required
- ⓖ No line or hooks shall be attached to the foot of the ladder.
- ⓗ At night, provide a brilliant light shining forward, and so as not to shine into
the pilot boat operator's eyes, to illuminate the ladder.
- ⓘ Attend the ladder with an officer equipped with a radiotelephone to
communicate with the ship's bridge. Provide an escort to and from the